If you are not doing what you love, you are wasting your time-Billy Joel

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday 12 December 2013

Project revisit

One of my blog followers reminded me of one of my tutorials I did last year that may be useful to you for a quick Christmas present.
 
The hexagonal/octagonal table toppers/ placemats can be made as large as you like by just adding more rows around the outside. I just cut 2 1/2 inch wide strips and kept on adding them around the initial shape, be it octagon or hexagon. You could also do the same thing with a square . The secret to getting the swirling effect is to add the strips in the one direction.

 

 I used an  iris design by Kenny Kreations for my original topper. The green/purple octagonal topper is more traditional than the modern black/ white and red one even though the same embroidery design is used. The grid colour was changed to black and the iris now has red tonings.
 
The following two are variations to the hexagonal/octagonal swirly table toppers.With these table toppers I strip pieced  3 x 1.5 inch strips and added them to the hexagon or octagon shape. With the red/white and black one I only added one row but with the green/pink version I added two rows to achieve that effect. The steps outlined in the tutorial  are still the same but this time you only need to worry about the one colour strip/
The design I used for the  Christmas topper below is by BFC Creations and is one of the Sheer Quilt  Block set



 You can find the tutorial with included templates for both original table toppers
HERE
 
Kenny Kreations have a lovely free Christmas design available for download from a link at the bottom of their home page. This would look lovely stitched out in a Christmas card or as the centre of a runner for a gold themed  Christmas table
 

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to see this tutorial; as a newbie follower I hadn't seen this before and I have been searching for placemats for a round table, and these are perfect! Thanks

    ReplyDelete